Monday, February 1, 2016

2015 25 Motif Challenge # 11

Another challenge piece done.
I saw these Egyptian Flower Earrings on Anika's blog here:  
They were so beautiful I had to try.  
She also has a star, but I need to find the gold ring she has in the center before I can try them. 
This is tatted in size 40 Lizbeth Boysenberry Dk. with gold bugle beads and seed beads.
This might look simple, but after I thought I had it figured out and had tatted all the way to the last center bead, I had to use a lot of brain power to figure out how to make the last join.  I am hoping to do this again trying it a different way for that last join and seeing if it works.
And I can't wait to be able to make the stars!!  :)
Hope you have an awesome day and some tatting time too!!!  :)

9 comments:

Jane McLellan said...

Wow, that looks really intricate. Took me a moment to twig that there are bugle beads and small beads, they're not one item. Splendid!

Madtatter80 said...

Wow you did great there is no stopping you!

God's Kid said...

Thank you both very much!! :)
Yes Jane, there are both bugle beads and seed beads, I think that is part of what intrigued me. :)

Ninetta said...

That's a lovely challenge. For the last join I'd prepared two long picots in th very first ring and then a swirl join in the last ring. How did you do that, instead?

God's Kid said...

Thank you Ninetta!!! :)
As for the final join...I pulled a loop of the thread through the bugle bead like a large picot, but kept pulling till I had enough to work with then pulled that through the thread at the top of the first ring with a tiny crochet hook, then I pulled it back through the bugle bead again, then made a normal join with the shuttle through that loop and finished the ring.....Crazy I know, but I am still learning and wasn't sure of another way to do it, and this actually worked! :)
Oh, and I am posting a set of 2 which is this one plus a new one-in which I actually had 2 bugle beads with paperclips hanging from the first ring and worked my way around, and the last join was just easier this way.

Jenn said...

It's lovely! The deep purple colour goes well with the gold beads :).

God's Kid said...

Thank you Jenn!! :)

ChristineAtAlchemyStitchery said...

Gorgeous flower! Will you turn these into earrings? I am curious as to where/how you would attach earring findings.

God's Kid said...

Hi Christine, thank you for you comment!! :)
I am thinking these will make great earrings. My thoughts for attaching the earring findings are 2. First one would be easy, through one of the rings which would make the center pentagon upright. Second would be to see if I could get a small wire through the center seed bead to keep it in the position in this picture.