Monday, December 7, 2015

New Tatting Thread Organization

I found these ornament storage units online.  Yes, they are just cardboard and a bit pricey(in my opinion), but they are what I have been looking for....lightweight, and versatile!
The first 4 pictures are what I have accomplished this morning.
This is the unit filled and each drawer labeled.
 This next is of all the drawers and how much is already in them(I am sure I haven't found all my thread yet!).
 These are the bottom drawers.  They are larger than the top drawers and have 16 spaces(if all the dividers are in place-which these are). There are size 10 through size 40 threads in these.
 These are the top drawers which have 25 spaces in each(when all the dividers are in-and you can see I have some out to fit different sizes....bottom left 2 coordinated packs from Handy Hands, top right lots of HDT still not wound).
 This next picture gives you and idea of it's size.
 This next picture shows how much more I still have to organize, and where I have to figure out how to put this unit(and the other which isn't assembled or in use yet, but I have it and figure I will need it!), and I am already sure I will be getting at least 2 more units).
***the cardboard "drawers" in the right bottom corner are where most of all the threads were first-now I am deciding what to use those for.....maybe ornaments which is what they were designed for??, maybe not.  :)
Well...I hope your day is productive and that some tatting gets in there too!!!  :)

7 comments:

Madtatter80 said...

That is a great idea, especially sense thread is supposed to have air flow and not sealed in plastic. the bags that they come in do have little air holes in them. Thanks for sharing!

God's Kid said...

Thank you Madtatter80!!! :) I always leave mine in the bags they come in and I leave the label tucked inside also. I will have to show that sometime. When tatting with shuttle and ball(if using Lizbeth thread) I leave the ball in the bag and tat away(it keeps it from rolling around). And if I have a shuttle with plenty of thread still on it, I just tuck it inside the bag next to the ball of thread also. I like to keep things organized and seeing how many tatters have said they didn't know what size thread, or where it came from-has encouraged me to do my best to keep as much info with the thread as possible.

Ninetta said...

I admire how many of you are so organized, I'm untidy and I'm always trying to follow some of your good hints! I learned to keep away UFOs with their thread, and label shuttles with white and ecru thread with their size. Love your new drawers!

Jane McLellan said...

Wow no excuse now for not finding the thread you know is lurking in your stash somewhere.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Sometimes I really think we share brain waves... I was just looking at this storage unit with the same idea in mind about a month ago! I didn't purchase it for three reasons... it's cardboard; I thought it was overpriced; I have no place to put it... yet!

Please let us know if you're still in love with it after you've used it for a while!

Margarets designer cards said...

I use the bags the lizbeth thread come in, I take the label off the top fold it so I can what the colour is called and keep the ball in the bag, keeps the thread clean and then I know what thread it is.
You certainly are doing well organising your thread, I keep most of mine in a draw under the bed. I try to keep hubby out of it so he does not know how much I have.
Margaret

God's Kid said...

Thank you all very much!!! :)
That is awesome Diane!!!! I have one with my threads(so far) and I am using the other as my organized end table(without the dividers), and I am wanting 2 more(at least).